The UK’s health and safety watchdog has warned Total after workers on one of its North Sea platforms were exposed to a dangerous gas.
The incident took place in the shale shaker area of the Alwyn North platform in June, according to an inspector from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
A prohibition notice, which dictates that a specific activity is stopped immediately, was issued to Total.
Workers were exposed to hydrogen sulphide gas at detected levels up to 100 parts per million (ppm).
HSE says the gas is toxic at breathable concentrations between 500-1,000ppm, but death is not instantaneous.
At concentrations greater than 1,000ppm, the gas is rapidly lethal.